Friday, October 30, 2009

Spider Deviled Eggs

I made these last year I believe, but when my husband asked if I wanted to go to his work potluck today for lunch, he specifically requested the spider deviled eggs he had remembered from last year. I love them because they're easy to make, difficult to mess up, and so darn cute! Plus, who doesn't like deviled eggs? They're usually the first thing to go at parties and everyone seems to get a kick out of them looking like little spiders. I had a great time getting to know the people my husband works with and being able to see where he works. If you're going to a Halloween party and don't have much experience in the kitchen, or don't want to spend a lot of time on something, but would like something festive, this would be a good recipe for you.

Mind you, I don't normally have a recipe for my deviled eggs. I typically cook the hard boiled eggs, take out the yolk, mix it with mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, until it tastes the way I like it and looks about the right consistency. This is really the only thing I feel comfortable making without measuring, but if you need something, here's a recipe I trust:

7 large eggs, cold
3 Tablespoons mayonaise
1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar (or vinegar of your choice)
3/4 teaspoon grainy mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worchestershire
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat immediately, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and cool for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice each in half lengthwise. With a small spoon, scoop the yolks into a bowl, add the mayonaise, vinegar, mustard, and Worchestershire, and mash with a rubber spatula until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Arrange the egg white halves on a serving platter, discarding the two worst-looking ones. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip or plastic bag, pipe the yolk misture into the whites. Serve at room temperature.

Recipe from American's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

I do not go through that much trouble. Normally I simply put the mixture on the eggs with a spoon, but it does look much prettier with a bag. Since you're putting spiders on them, I don't think it really matters. I also would never discard two of the worst looking eggs...well, maybe after I've filled them I would eat them. ;-)

After you've made your deviled eggs however you like, the spiders are made from olives. I cut a whole olive in half to make the body, and with the other half, I cut it into strips to make the legs.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: