Tuesday, November 17, 2009

American Chop Suey

I made this recipe without really knowing what it was, but I had all the ingredients and have not had anything bad from my America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a variety of recipes that are almost full proof. I'm going to try changing the trinity used because my hubby isn't a big fan of onions, but I haven't tried it yet. I was thinking of making it carrots, bell peppers, and celery. If I try it, I'll let you know how it works out. In the meantime, here's the recipe:

American Chop Suey

2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds (90 percent lean) ground beef
1 onion, chopped medium
1 bell pepper
1 rib celery, chopped medium
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt
1 (25-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces elbow macaroni (2 cups)
pepper

1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Then transfer to a medium bowl.

2. Heat the other tablespoon vegetable oil to the empty skillet and return it to medium heat until simmering. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes with their juice, the broth, and the browned beef, scraping up any browned bits. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and immer until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

4. Stir in the macaroni and continue to cook over medium low heat, covered and stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

No comments: