Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins

I am a huge fan of muffins, but I have always enjoyed poppyseed muffins for some reason. I am not picky about my muffins, but have one request-don't give me one with a mushy top! The top of the muffin should have a crunchy exterior and yummy soft bread in the middle. I find this recipe accommodates my needs. It also calls for making a drizzle that goes over the top after the muffins come out of the oven. I find it unnecessary and therefore am not including it in my post. :-) Hope you enjoy!

Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons poppyseeds
1 1/2 cups lowfat plain yogurt
2 large eggs
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon lemon zest

1. Adjust an oven rach to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin tin with vegetable oil spray.

2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppyseeds together in a large bowl. Whisk the yogurt, eggs, and lemon zest together in a medium bowl. Gently fold the yogurt-egg mixture into the flour mizture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the melted butter.

3. Use a large ice-cream scoop or measuring cup to divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes.

4. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minute, then flip out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

(FYI- I normally get more then 12 muffins out of this recipe, but I think it depends on how full you make your muffin cups. I also just scoop the batter into the cups using a normal spoon. No measuring cup or ice-cream scoop required, but not a bad idea.)



Recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook



No comments: