Saturday, August 21, 2010

Camping and Relaxation




Sorry for being MIA for a couple of weeks, but I was off camping for one week and getting my relaxing the second. The week of camping was awesome! I look forward to this camping trip every year and had a fabulous time with the family we went with. Camping is one of my favorite vacations because I think there is something special about taking the time to disconnect from all electronics (although there were some electronic connections this time) and sit around a fire with close friends to relax and talk. There is something so refreshing about not having your cellphone on or surfing the net. I think I would have enjoyed the era before all of these electronics because you get to know people more closely and honestly. Ever since I was in high school and had a curfew, I loved that with camping I never had to follow a schedule and was free to do anything I wanted whenever I wanted. Now, not following a schedule isn't as amazing, but still a great vacation. I usually spend my days camping by: lounging, reading, swimming (if it isn't freeeeezing!), eating, and spending time around the fire with friends. For all of those reasons, I love camping. With camping comes planning, which means food and baking! I want to share with you two of our favorite camping treats:

First is simple: Hot Cocoa Mix.
I don't think I have mentioned Alton Brown in my blog, which is very surprising to me since he is my favorite star on Food Network. I have yet to be disappointed in any of his recipes and have learned a lot about cooking from him. This is one of the first recipes I tried from his episodes and prefer it far over store-bought hot cocoa. There isn't really anything special to it. You basically just combine ingredients and add water, so it doesn't take much more effort than the store-bought versions.

2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch Processed)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk                    
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients. When we're camping, we act as though it is store-bought cocoa by putting some in a cup and mix in boiling water.



The last recipe I want to share with you today is a camping staple because of it's popularity: Muddy Buddies!
I have heard this particular treat called several different names, but in my family, Muddy Buddies seems to be the chosen name. I am always asked if I made and brought some and it is always the first to disappear. I tend to only make them when we're camping in order to keep them a special camping treat and so I don't eat them all the time.

Muddy Buddies:
9 cups Chex cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

1. In a large bowl, measure out cereal. Set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate, peanut butter, and butter.Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal and mix until cereal is thoroughly coated.
3. Place cereal in a ziploc bag. Add powdered sugar. Shake until coated.






Although I wish I was still camping, I am happy to be home and these are things you can make whether or not you're camping.

















































































No comments: