Monday, August 2, 2010

Pasta with Salmon, Fennel, and Asparagus

I am constantly trying to fit fish meals into my weeks, but it ends up not making the list every week because I'm not a big fan of fish. It smells up the whole house when I cook it and I'm not very good at cooking it-I tend to dry it out due to my lack of experience with it (ironic!). When I come across a fish recipe that sounds good and different from any other recipe I've tried, I get excited. I found this recipe in an America's Test Kitchen Magazine and decided to give it a try. I found it wonderfully delicious! I didn't have overcooked fish, and the pasta and sauce paired with the salmon beautifully. I would recommend it to fish and non-fish lovers alike.

Side Note: I love pretty much anything from America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country, and Cook's Illustrated because they are almost always my favorite recipes.

Chopped leeks.

Asparagus.

Melt the butter.

Wash the leeks.

Put the two together! Sauteing the leeks.

Add the salmon. I bought this salmon from the freezer section of Costco after someone recommended it to me. I love them! They are individually wrapped and super easy to use!

Parsley.

Took out the salmon and added cream.

I was boiling the pasta and added the asparagus to the last few minutes of cooking.

Then, mixed everything together. 


 
 
 
 
 
 
I should have chopped the asparagus,
but it turned out wonderfully and I even enjoyed that salmon was in it!














Pasta with Salmon, Leeks, and Asparagus

1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced thin (I only used one, but would recommend 2)
2 skinless salmon fillets (I used 3 and would recommend at least 3)
1 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 pound farfelle (I couldn't find that pasta and just bought what was on sale)
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut on bias into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon lemon juice from 1 lemon
1. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in large pot. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Season fish with salt and pepper. Add wine and fish to skillet and cook, covered, until fish is just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer fish to plate and tent with foil. Add cream to skillet and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
2. When cool enough to handle, break fish into bite-size pieces, then re-cover with foil.
3. Meanwhile, add 1 Tablespoon salt and farfelle to boiling water and cook until almost al dente, about 10 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until farfelle is al dente and asparagus is tender, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Drain pasta and asparagus and return to pot. Stir in sauce, parsley, and lemon juice, adding reserved cooking water as needed. Gently fold in fish. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.



No comments: