Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grilled Beef Kebabs and Pita Salad

I finally got my BBQ out and fired-up the charcoals! I wanted to make kebabs because it seemed easy, quick, and something that I haven't really eaten- at least not for several years. I saw this recipe in an America's Test Kitchen Magazine and it looked so amazingly good and perfect for hot summer nights, I had to make it!

It all started with the BBQ.













I got the BBQ for free from my mom since she got a gas one and didn't use or need this on anymore.





Then I sat out side for the grilling extravaganza!




Grilled Beef Kebabs and Pita Salad

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds stew meat, preferably chuck
salt and pepper
4 (8 inch) pita breads, split into 2 rounds
1 romaine heart, torn into bite-size pieces
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Combine oil and garlic in bowl. Brush 2 Tablespoons oil mixture on both sides of pita breads. With the rest of the oil, toss beef and season with salt and pepper. Let beef marinate until ready to grill.
2. Thread 4 skewers with beef and discard marinade. Grill kebabs over hot fire, turning often, until charred and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Grill pita rounds until browned and crisp, about 1 minute per side.
3. Transfer kebabs to serving platter. Combine romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, and cheese in bowl. Break or cut pita rounds into bite-size pieces and add to bowl with lettuce. Toss with dressing (I would recommend Italian) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with kebabs.

No comments: