Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cherry Muffins

I've been making my favorite banana bread (posted earlier in this blog) for a while and now that winter is well behind us, banana bread seems too heavy for summer. I tried thinking of something light, fresh, and different than what I have been making. That's when I remembered making cherry muffins for Valentine's Day this year and suddenly really wanted them! I dug out the small cookbook I had with the recipe, and here it is:

The ingredients, but you also have to have milk. The recipe I have for some reason doesn't list milk in the ingredients, so I didn't have it in the picture. 

Batter never looks appetizing to me, but here's what it looks like.



















These last two pictures came out more yellow, but the muffins are actually a pink color. The light wasn't very good by the time I took them out of the oven, but they are delicious!


Cherry Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar

1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk (or more depending on the consistency. I didn't measure.)
2/3 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a seperate bowl, blend egg, vanilla, oil, and milk. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients, stirring with several quick strokes until combined and moistened. Stir in cherries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: