Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chocolate Ice Cream

I received an ice cream maker for Christmas last year with the thought that when the summer months come, I would have fresh ice cream on hand without having to purchase it. The appliance has been sitting around my house collecting dust during the winter months, but now that my husband and I are constantly craving ice cream, I swept the cobwebs off the box and took my shiny new ice cream maker and put it on my counter.

Isn't it pretty?!

I started by looking at the recipes within the recipe book given with the ice cream maker and decided chocolate was the one both my husband and I would want and enjoy. However, I made several mistakes along the way...

The ingredients.

I mixed the ingredients following the recipe, but it did not require that the mixture be refrigerated before putting in the maker. The recipe said to put it in the refrigerator only if I was not going to put it into the ice cream maker right away, but I would make sure I refrigerate for a while before.

I also put the container into my freezer, but not quite for the recommended minimum of 6 hours. I shook the container to check to see if the liquid inside was frozen and it seemed to be ready, but I think it needed more time in the freezer. Now I'm trying to keep it in the freezer until I need it.

It was fun to watch it mix while I was washing dishes. 

It didn't turn out terribly, just a little icy without the creaminess I wanted. That could also be due to my air tight container, not being so air tight. I guess I need to go shopping for one! I also am going to try to find a recipe that is more flavorful. The recipe book that came with the maker was fine, but not fantastic. I guess I am now on the search for an amazing chocolate ice cream recipe.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got me inspired to pull out my ice cream maker! :) I haven't dusted it off yet. Also, I'm definitely going to dig out some of my favorite recipes and email them to you to see if they work better than the ones in your booklet. With that thought in mind, what flavors do you like best (besides chocolate)?

alijotg2 said...

I'm going to try to make vanilla frozen yogurt and I'm very open to different types of ice cream to make. I like mint chocolate chip, but hubby's not a fan. He mainly likes chocolate and coffee.