Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Experimentation: Hamburger Helper

I know what you're thinking: Hamburger Helper?! Really?! Well, yes! I love hamburger helper and I think it has to do with my dad making a variety of the stuff on a regular basis while I was growing up. Out of all the things you could buy pre-made, I'd say it's probably one of the better things. The craving of hamburger helper came to me this week with the thought that maybe if I made it similar to the box version, I could have something that tasted like beef stroganoff without actually having to make it (my husband doesn't care for it and I have issues with buying something out of the box). I started my search online and tried to piece together some of the ideas I found. I noticed there were more recipes for something like a chili cheese thing, but I already have a recipe I really like for that. I wanted stroganoff!

After my research this is what I came up with:

1 lb ground beef, browned. 

Mix in 1 cup hot water, 2 cups milk, 1 1/2 cup egg noodles, and 1 Tablespoon cornstartch.

I actually used a small carton of whipping cream instead of milk simply because my milk went bad. I figured, I've used it in recipes similar to this before, so maybe it will make a creamier sauce.

I also used a combination of these spices: 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon allspice, and 1 teaspoon paprika. 

I ended up with something similar to hamburger helper, but void of much flavor. I'm melding over this idea and plan to do more research on stroganoff recipes, but wanted to share a recent experiment. I wouldn't say it was a failure, just not up to my standards. Any suggestions are welcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a great recipe for stroganoff. Let me know if you'd like it, and I'll share it with you.